Mercy Corps Internship Recruitment Nigeria 2019… Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
1. Job Title: MAIDA Program Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00060
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Length of Internship: 6 Months
Dates of Internship: 20th May, 2019
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way. Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities. In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives. These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall, social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource; management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peacebuilding.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
- This position will offer the intern an opportunity to understand what Mercy Corps stands for as well as understand the Humanitarian program in Borno State. Working in the MAIDA department, the Intern will be able to learn how to plan and prioritize work schedule in a fast demanding work environment, in addition to working with participants of the different component of the program and the community in general.
- The Intern will work with other team members in MAIDA as well as other programs and should be able to develop good working relationship with the rest of the team.
- Major part of the job responsibility will be to support program staff in the general program implementation and support with the logistical arrangements of moving to the field and participating in community sensitization.
Under the direction of the Program Coordinator, the Intern will be responsible for the day to day support to the department specifically:
- Work with the program assistant’s in collecting and compiling all the documents ensuring they are filed both in hard and soft copy.
- Under supervision raise PR’s for hotel bookings for any trainings and workshops
- Track all the items that shall be purchased for the use of program activities such as training material, and refreshments
- Support in conducting spot checks for program activities periodically, whilst collecting data on attendance and entry into the database
- With the support of the assistant’s, track MAIDA costs and take the department’s inventory and make request in time
- Support implementation of community engagement activities in collaboration with the program team.
- Support with organization of meetings with relevant stakeholders and guide the project staffs to the various meeting points as required.
- Support program officers to ensure progress according to the developed schedule and work plan.
- Support in the coordination in target geographic areas.
- Perform other tasks as required.
- With the support of program officers, contribute to all fieldwork, including monitoring and supporting beneficiaries during spot checks coordinating with community leaders
- Support in conducting monitoring and data collection as directed by the Program Coordinator assisting with specific surveys or assessments as needed
- Support the program assistants in tracking costs as well documentation and filing of all program related files
- Work together with the team to develop movement plans, raise PR’s for materials and hall hire
Ideal Candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- BA/S in relevant field preferred
- Good organization skills.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Good oral and written skills and computer skills
- Strong computer skills on MS office programs
- Fluency in English and Hausa is required
Working Conditions and Remuneration
- The program has lots of activities to be implemented that need to be completed within strict timelines. The intern will be expected to work beyond the normal working hours some days and should be able to cope with pressure of doing every task fast, effectively and efficiently.
- Office space as well as working equipment is limited and Intern will have to cope with sharing space as well as equipment with the other team members.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- For the duration of this internship assignment the intern will receive: 60,000 NGN per month
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with: transport, meals, accommodation
2. Job Title: Program Intern
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00059
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Dates of Internship: ASAP
Length of Internship: 9 months
Interns Supervisor & Contact Information: Program Manager- Food for Peace
- The Program intern will be based in Maiduguri and will work under the direct supervision of the Program manager, Food for Peace to support program department of Mercy Corps Nigeria
- The successful candidate will undertake Program duties working in close collaborations with other program team members as well operation.
At the end of the Internship period, the intern should have acquired the following skills and knowledge:
- Develop a working knowledge of humanitarian programming
- Have a good knowledge of program Filing system and report writing
- Have a good mastery of IT skills
- Cultivate interpersonal skills and ability to multitask
- Read all assigned literature
- Work collaboratively with other program team members to ensure necessary program planning, resource availability and management activities function smoothly and efficiently.
- Maintain files and support the dissemination of project information among the team.
- Regularly update program files (electronic and hard documents) meeting minutes and technical documents in line with MCN requirement
- Maintain physical and computerized official documents for the project.
- Supports trainings and workshops.
- Scan a soft copy of all documentation before it is handed over to program and finance for payment
- Conduct research and information gathering on the humanitarian situation to support the FFP program objectives
- As required, support in raising requests to procurement and finance on information/communication tasks and other Program activities.
- Perform basic administrative duties such as replying emails and managing schedules, while also assisting in budget tracking and event planning.
- Maintain program calendars and sends out reminders of impending appointments.
- Attend program staff meetings and takes minutes.
- Assist in planning, developing travel documents and overseeing special events
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
The ideal candidate should possess the following qualifications:
- A B.Sc /B.ED/B.A or HND in relevant field.
- A demonstrated ability to multitask and process information into action in a timely manner
- Ability to use the following Microsoft Productivity tools Excel and Word
- Fluency in English Language
- The intern will be expected to work 40 hours a week
- The intern will be paid a monthly allowance of N60,000
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Intern will remain responsible for all costs associated with his/her Internship in Mercy Corps Nigeria
Deadline: 15th May, 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit no more than 4 page CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org